Wednesday 30 March 2011

Day 2! - 2KCBWDAY2


Day 2 of the Annual knitting and crochet blog week

Lets see if I can manage two posts this time! ;)
Topic for today:
"Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year?"

This time last year I was waiting for my subscription to "The Art of Crochet" to arrive so I could learn how to crochet. I had decided to take up crochet January last year thinking it would be something to keep me occupied whilst ill in bed, but due to some problems with printing the first issue didn't arrive for a few months. I finally received it in May and started crocheting my first ever square! I chose the art of crochet because I liked how it taught you how to crochet whilst making squares to eventually be put together for a blanket. You make one square an issue (weekly) and I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn! The instructions are written out simply and even have pictures to follow. The only problem I have with it is there is a lot of repetition with the squares with a lot being the same.
From squares I went on to create hats, scarves, gloves and amigurumi animals (MANY amigurumi animals!!). I have not yet ventured to make anything big, but I have a long list of things I plan to make!

This year I decided to also try my hand at knitting. As I liked the Art of Crochet so much I decided to buy my younger sisters magazines of her (she didn't really take to knitting). She had a lot of unused wool too so I had lots to practice with.  I find it much slower than crochet but still enjoyable! However I still haven't finished my first square...

Gosh that's a lot of writing! Ready for some pictures? Okay, here you go!
The most recent thing I have been making is this:


This is a scarf I am making and for the first time I have tried cable stitches! I found it quite confusing at first but picked it up fast. I also decided to do the raised bits in a very soft fluffy yarn, and I think it looks like something sponsoring Dairy Milk chocolate! I am actually testing the pattern for someone who is donating it to people to crochet, then sending them off for the survivors from the Japanese earthquake. I was meant to be finished yesterday though.... However my health had to come first and I have been suffering from a very bad virus that has left me unable to crochet anything more than a square for days :( However I am a little further on with my squares for my blanket!


The other things I have recently finished are these:



 
My bunny, bee and ladybug family :) They will all get a proper blog post in the future along with my finished scarf so watch this space! Oh, and the baby ladybug isn't quite finished, if you look carefully you will see she has no legs! Don't worry though, that will soon be fixed!


The last photo I am showing you today is my knitted square! Or rather, my half knitted square...





Thanks for popping in again! Hope you enjoyed looking through my many achievements of the year :)

Sam xx

No comments:

Post a Comment